Canadian Pacific diesel electric switcher locomotive #6568
Built by Montreal Locomotive Works (MLW) to the designs of the American Locomotive Company (ALCO) in 1957. Retired by the CPR in 1985 and acquired by the Museum in 1987.
6568 is an ALCO model S-3 diesel electric switcher. It is equipped with a six cylinder 660 horsepower McIntosh and Seymour series 539 diesel engine that drives a General Electric main generator that in turn provides 600 volts DC to four traction motors, one on each axle. This locomotive has an inoperative main generator and is missing its traction motors.
There were 290 S-3s produced between 1950 and 1957, 127 at the ALCO plant in Schenectady, New York and 163 at the MLW plant in Montreal. The Canadian Pacific owned 101 S-3s, the largest group on any one railway and one of the reasons why there were more S-3s built in Canada than in the US. The other reason was that S-3 production was halted in the US in 1953 when it was replaced there by the US only S-5. The Canadian only S-10 replaced the S-3 in Canada.
Several other locomotive models built by ALCO and MLW appear virtually identical to the S-3. These include models S-1, S-2, S-4, S-7 and S-10 built between 1940 and 1961. Total production of these “S” series locomotives (including S-3s) was 3171 including 2674 for the US, 454 for Canada and 43 for Mexico.
S-3s were considered to be light switchers and were used for light duties in freight and coach yards and to move small numbers of cars from industrial sidings to freight yards. Many S-3s were sold to industries to switch cars around their sites when they were retired from the railways. Today railways use locomotives of 1200 to 2000 horsepower for such chores. Modern freight locomotives produce as much as 4400 horsepower and 6000 horsepower locomotives are under development.
Click here to see the press release following completion of the restoration S-3 Press Release – Aug. 06
Sask Power 800-010
Built by General Electric in 1941 for the US Army and later used by the US Air Force. The US government sold this locomotive to used locomotive dealer Mannix Ltd. in the 1960s who resold it to Sask Power in 1965. It is believed that it was used at the A.L. Cole power plant in Saskatoon for a time. In 1985 Sask Power sold it to a predecessor of Ag Pro Grain to switch their Moose Jaw terminal elevator. In 1998 Ag Pro donated 800-010 to the Museum.
800-010 is a General Electric 23 ton diesel electric locomotive powered by a Cummins six cylinder 150 horsepower diesel engine driving a General Electric main generator powering a single traction motor on the rear axle. A chain connecting the two axles drove the front axle. This locomotive is missing its traction motor.
General Electric has been building small diesel electric locomotives (less than 600 horsepower) since 1918, mostly at its Erie, Pennsylvania plant. Since 1960 GE has also been building freight locomotives at its Erie plant and has recently been building passenger locomotives as well. GE is currently the largest producer of diesel electric locomotives in the world.
Trackmobiles are a cross between a locomotive and a tractor and are built by the Whiting Corporation. Other companies under other trade names build similar machines. They are capable of moving a handful of cars on the rails and then moving themselves by road to another location to move some more cars.
The Museum’s Trackmobile was built in 1957 for Manitoba Hydro and later sold to Canadian Pacific. The CPR used it to move cars and locomotives requiring repairs in and out of its shops in Sutherland. CPR later sold it to a local farmer who in turn sold it to the museum in 1993.
The Trackmobile is equipped with a Ford 292 cid V8 engine, the same as used in contemporary Ford and Meteor automobiles. It has a complicated transmission system that allows the engine to drive either the road or rail wheels. The road wheels are raised and lowered by hydraulics. The hydraulics are also used to transfer some of the load from the cars to the trackmobile to aid in traction.
The Trackmobile was re-built by Agricultural Machinery Mechanics students as a project at SIAST Kelsey Campus over the winter of 1998/99 and until recently, was in excellent operating condition. Unfortunately, this unit recently experienced a significant crack in the bellhousing, putting it out of action for the 2007 operating season. Museum volunteers are assessing it to determined what is required to repair or replace it. Any members of the public who can assist in getting this workcar back on the tracks are encouraged to contact the museum.
80 ton diesel electric locomotive
Builder: General Electric
Date built: January 1957
Model: Centre Cab 80 ton
Horse Power 470
Interesting Notes: This centre cab locomotive has two Cummins model NHBIS-600 diesel engines to provide power to four GE-747 traction motors. One of the selling points of this unit by GE was that if one engine needed to be shut down for service the loco-motive could still operate on the other engine This diesel-electric locomotive was purchased new by Saskatchewan Power Corporation in 1957 from Canadian General Electric. For a number of years it operated at the Queen Elizabeth Power Station at Saskatoon. In that location it was used for shunting coal cars to and from the coal fired power plant. In 1988 it was sold to GE Railcar Services which operated a railcar repair service on the south edge of Saskatoon. In 2002, the GE Railcar site in Saskatoon was taken over by Rescar of Downers Grove, Illinois, USA. In 2007 the Saskatoon site of Rescar railcar repair was closed down by that company and the RIP track vacated by October of that year. This locomotive was reported operational in May of 2007. The locomotive was purchased by the Saskatchewan Railway Museum in the fall of 2007. Arriving at the Saskatchewan Railway Museum on the 28th of July 2008 it rounds out the largest collection of diesel locomotives in Saskatchewan.